When you have suffered a life-changing injury, our catastrophic injury lawyers can help you claim the compensation you may be entitled to. We are committed to providing effective and efficient representation for our clients.
The personal injury attorneys at Haun Mena are experienced in handling catastrophic injury claims. When you need assistance with responding to this adversity you have suffered and getting financial relief, our lawyers are ready to represent you.
Catastrophic Injury Lawyers Near Me
Our lawyers represent clients in Houston and throughout Texas. Your consultation is always free.
Plus, we never charge for our time. See how we can represent you on a contingency fee basis with no risk to you. Contact us today to learn more and begin your case.
What is a catastrophic injury?
A catastrophic injury is one that changes the course of your life. It significantly interferes with a bodily function with life-changing impact. An injury may be catastrophic because it:
- Interferes with a bodily function – A catastrophic injury may prevent a person from living a normal life. When a person can no longer do major life activities like walking or personal care, they have suffered a catastrophic injury.
- Impacts the functioning of an organ – Loss of eyesight, hearing or even a traumatic brain injury may be catastrophic because an organ of the body no longer functions in a normal manner. Internal organ damage may also be catastrophic.
- Is disfiguring – When injuries affect a person’s appearance, they are catastrophic because they are disfiguring. Loss of a limb and scars may be disfiguring injuries.
Examples of catastrophic injury
You may have a catastrophic injury claim if you have suffered from:
- Traumatic brain injury – Concussion, damage from lack of oxygen and skull fractures may all create a catastrophic injury. Some of these injuries can only be diagnosed with specialized medical imaging. Major injuries may not be detectable by simple MRI or CT scans.
- Paralysis – Paraplegia, Quadriplegia, Tetraplegia and other impaired mobility resulting from paralysis; spinal cord injury
- Amputation, loss of limb
- Visual disfigurement – Burns, scars, facial injuries, injuries causing visible orthopedic changes
- Neurological damage
- Crushing of internal organs
- Loss of hearing, sight and other senses
A catastrophic injury doesn’t have to be a particular type of injury. What catastrophic injuries all have in common is their impact on the victim. If your injury impacts your ability to live a normal life, you have suffered from a catastrophic injury.
Why do I need a catastrophic injury lawyer?
There are several reasons that you need a lawyer when you are the victim of a catastrophic injury.
- You need help – When you have catastrophic injuries, you may have health care needs for the rest of your life. It may be difficult or impossible to continue to work. A lawyer can help you address these needs through a legal claim.
- The other side may fight harder – With large dollar amounts on the line, the other side is likely to resist paying you what you deserve. A lawyer can prevent them from using delay tactics and distractions to stand in your way.
- Documentation is key – Because of the nature of severe injuries, any catastrophic injury case relies heavily on documentation. The victim needs to verify their injuries and the fact that they are the result of the accident. Legal counsel can help you with the depth of medical documentation needed for a successful claim.
- Expert evidence can be complex – Catastrophic injury claims rely heavily on experts. You may use a medical expert to explain the injuries and long-term impact. Financial experts may explain monetary losses and the compensation that is due to the victim. There are legal rules for how to utilize experts and present their testimony. A lawyer knows the legal procedure for how to present this information effectively.
Catastrophic Injury Claims
If you have a life-changing injury, you need financial help. Compensation may represent:
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Nursing care; long-term care
- Care for children and other dependent family members
- Replacement income for the household
- Mental injuries
- Pain and suffering, emotional anguish and changed lifestyle
- Property damage
- Daily living expenses
Managing your needs after a catastrophic injury claim is a large task. You need to identify your long-term needs and the way that your injuries have changed your life. Then, you must plan to include these financial needs in your claim for compensation. Finally, you must manage the funds that you receive for your long-term care. Your lawyer can assist you with these many important tasks.
What is a catastrophic injury claim?
A catastrophic injury claim is the legal process of demanding compensation for the victim of a life-changing injury. The victim makes a claim against the party or parties that are legally responsible for the accident. They demand payment for damages that they are entitled to claim under the law.
Through the legal process, the claim is heard. The parties may reach an agreement to resolve the case, or a judge or jury may determine the victim’s right to compensation.
Do I have a valid catastrophic injury claim?
Whether you have a valid catastrophic injury claim depends on whether another party has legal fault for the accident. The standard for legal fault depends on the type of injury.
Types of legal fault are:
- Negligence – A lack of ordinary and reasonable care. Many car accident claims are based on negligence. Most traffic violations are examples of negligence. Slip and fall claims may also be based on negligence.
- Recklessness – Recklessness is more serious misconduct than negligence. Recklessness shows a willful disregard for the safety of others.
- Intentional harm – When a person hurts someone else on purpose, they owe the victim compensation.
- Strict liability – The victim may not be required to prove wrongdoing if strict liability applies. Defective products may be subject to strict liability.
To determine if the defendant has legal fault, identify the standard that applies to the type of case. Then, review the actions of the defendant. If their actions meet the standard for legal liability, you may have a valid claim. In addition to proving legal fault, you must prove that injuries are the result of the defendant’s actions.
Will my catastrophic injury claim go to trial?
With careful case preparation and exacting legal work, most catastrophic injury claims reach a resolution before trial. It doesn’t happen by accident – when you work with an experienced attorney to diligently prepare your case, the other side is able to see that you have a strong legal claim.
You may choose to take your case to trial. At our core, we are experienced trial lawyers. We are ready for your day in court. However, it is our goal to help you reach the best possible outcome for your case given all the many factors and considerations. We are proud of our track record of putting clients in a strong position to reach the right result for them.
Hiring a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
With a catastrophic injury claim being so important to you and your future, hiring the right lawyer to handle the claim is a critical task. The lawyer needs to have the training in the law and the experience in the local courts. Plus, they need to have the passion and attention to detail that gets results.
What is a catastrophic injury lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer with the training and resources to handle complex claims is a catastrophic injury lawyer.
They are a personal injury lawyer that represents individuals who suffer severe injuries. Plus, they have the in-depth experience and resources to address the special and complex issues that arise in a catastrophic injury claim. They must be experienced and ready to assist the client with the technical evidence required to succeed in this type of claim.
How long does a catastrophic injury claim take?
Resolving a catastrophic injury claim is a delicate balance of helping the client quickly access the financial resources that they need while ensuring that you build the evidence to claim fair compensation and reach the right result for serious injuries. It can be tempting to take the first offer that the defendant extends, but that offer may be woefully inadequate.
Before you accept any offer, be sure that you fully understand the compensation that you deserve. Examine the legal issues and identify the likely fair value of the claim. A lawyer can help you understand your rights and how to respond to any settlement offers. They can assist you in balancing the competing interests of making your claim complete while working to avoid delays and promptly resolve your case.
How much will it cost to hire a lawyer?
At Haun Mena, we believe that everyone should have the lawyer they deserve. When you have a catastrophic injury claim, we can represent you with no risk to you. We don’t ask for any payment unless we succeed. That’s right – you don’t pay unless we win. That’s our promise to you to resolve your claim efficiently and effectively.
Choosing a catastrophic injury lawyer for your case is a key decision. We invite you to get to know us and learn more about your case. We can meet with you at home or in the hospital, or come to our offices. We have one goal in mind – to succeed for you.
Let us shoulder this burden for you and with you. We give you professional level representation throughout your entire case.
Free Consultation – Taking New Cases
We are taking new cases. Contact us for a free consultation. We look forward to meeting you.